dare

dare

Pick Your Poison:

Monday, September 7, 2015

Relationship Goals

In todays age and society young adults seem to know divorce and split families more often than endless love. The "its your weekend" conversations, two holidays and hidden jealously between the two. It seems to always be a competition between the mother and the father; sometimes the siblings as well. This has become the normalcy of the world, which is so so so sad. In 2014 the statistics were staggering, with a whopping 1.2 million divorces in one year, which was about 50% of the 2.6 million marriages in that same year.  This angers me deeply if we are being honest. I grew up with divorced parents and so did majority of my friends. But naturally we envy the few that get to sit down at night with their happily wed moms and dads to share a meal together. My mom was always the backbone and the gentle touch, the strong arm and the soft smile. She did it all. My brother and I were lucky to have such a strong woman and also some somewhat distant family that we could also lean on. But as for our father, he was absent. Until he met Brandi. Brandi became my step-mom after a few short years of dating my dad. Well, long story short; my dad proved himself to be absent once again and left Brandi, me and everyone else behind after 2 years of being "disney dad". Were we surprised? Absolutely not. Despite my dads idiocy, Brandi has continued to be in my life consistently. In fact my mom and her tend to joke about Brandi being my dad and my mom being well, my mom.

Along with Brandi being in my life, so did her parents, my G and Stud (the explanation of their names is for a different day). They are the reason I'm writing this blog post in its entitreity. They live full, fruitful lives together as one married couple. In love to the day they die and its so visible. They share laughter, motives, philosophies and spiritualities and the nightly glass of red wine out by the pool together. They still hold hands in the car like teenagers that are falling head over heels in love for the first time, they look out for one another, and they know one another like the back of their hand. Yes, they have their issues and their arguments, but they don't let them trump their love and commitment to one another. This is what we should know as love. This should be what we want out of our lives. To share a successful, full life with someone who loves you with everything in their being. To love, learn and grow with one another. 

So darlings, go find your real relationship goals and make them happen. Don't settle for less and don't search. Let it come to you, cause I promise it will find you when you least expect it. 
Xoxo




2 comments: